These questions and answers about contractor licensing will help to walk you through the steps you will need to take in order to get through the general contractor licensing process. Before you start making plans to take one of the contractors license tests, be sure that you are preparing for the right one. A Florida building contractor license will allow you many options as a contractor. If you have decided to specialize in one specific trade or aspect of the industry such as remodeling, then a residential builder’s license in Florida will meet all of your needs. When you take any of the courses we offer, you will receive the contractor exam books for FL. Have a look at the questions and answers below to determine which license is the best fit for you.
Question not answered?
Call us we're here to help
- CG - A "general contractor" means someone with a general contractors license whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do.
- CB - A "building contractor" means a contractor whose services are limited to the construction of commercial buildings and single-dwelling or multiple-dwelling residential buildings. These buildings cannot exceed three stories in height. A building contractor in Florida may also construct the "accessory use structures" in connection with these buildings. An accessory use structure would be a garage, guest house, garden shed, or other outbuilding. A building contractor in Florida is also a contractor whose services are limited to remodeling, repair, or improvement of any size building - if the services do not affect the structural elements of the building.
- CR - A "residential contractor" means a contractor whose services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one-family, two-family, or three-family residences which are not more than two stories and the "accessory use structures" in connection with these buildings. An accessory use structure would be a garage, guest house, garden shed, or other outbuilding.
- Read from Florida Statutes 489.111.
- A quick answer would be that you will need 4 years of construction experience of which one year must be as supervisor on a building four stories or greater. If you are not sure whether or not you are qualified for a Florida contractors license under the statute, write to the DBPR by e-mail at the following address and request clarification. email@example.com. They will respond promptly and your answer will be in writing.
- Or you can call the State's phone Center at 850-487-1395.
On your application you will have to demonstrate experience in four of the following seven categories:
- Foundations/Slabs in excess of 20,000 square feet
- Masonry walls
- Steel erection
- Elevated slabs
- Pre-cast concrete structures
- Column erection
- Formwork for structural reinforced concrete
- General Contractors: will have at least one year of such experience in the construction of structures not less than four (4) stories in height.
Yes, of the four years construction experience needed, you can use three years of any college credits in lieu of experience.
Ready to apply for the exam?
Online Application for Certification Examination
- If this is your first time registering online you need to click "create account."
- Or you can call the State's Testing Center at 1-800-330-3776
- You may also want to make yourself familiar with the Candidate Information Brochure
Individuals seeking licensure as a CERTIFIED contractor, must first take and pass a state certification examination.
Passing the examination will allow you to apply for licensure as a certified contractor.
However, you should ensure that you meet all requirements for licensure before applying for the examination.
A passing grade on the examination alone does not qualify you for licensure.
After passing the examination, you should complete and submit the application for Initial Issuance of Licensure.
- Link caption You will need 16 different books, but subject to change soon.
- To see which books are required for GC, Builders and Residential exam you should click on the link below then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link for the most current book list.
- For our price list click HERE
Please call us directly at 1-888-907-1153 for registration information.